Water and Sewerage Sector
The Water Section under the Urban Development department is the secretaria tfor the Delhi Jal Board. It liaisons between Delhi Jal Board and the Govt of NCT Delhi and is the nodal branch for liasoning between DJB various department of Government of India and other agencies. The main functions of the Water Section is to decide/ examine major policies of DJB related to water and sewerage, defining recruitment rules , monitoring various projects of DJB and also liasoning for release of funds/budget for its day to day working.
The organization set up of the Water Section is follows:
- Pr. Secretary(UD)
- Secretary (UD)
- Spl. Secy.(Admin)
- Dy. Secretary(Water)
Major issues currently being monitored:
- Cleaning of River Yamuna.
- Storage Projects: Rnuka Dam. Lakwar-vysai Dam and Kashau Dam , as per the agreement with the Government of Haryana, Uttar Prdesh and Himachal Pradesh as per the MOU of 1994 for sharing of water .
- Projects under YAP-II for abatement of pollution in river Yamuna.
- Projectunder YAP-III for abatement of pollution in river Yamuna by upgradation of the sewerage system in the catchment area of kondli, okhla and rithala..
- Laying of interceptor sewer along the 3 major drains .
Status of water in Delhi
- Water supply from all sources – 825 MGD.
- Water waste generated (80 %) – 660MGD.
- Available capacity of 17 plants – 512 .4 MGD
- Water utilization – 390 MGD .
- Total network coverage -60%.
Some of the important projects done by DJB to increase use of water efficiently.
- W.T.Ps being upgraded,.
- Study being conducted by JICA for efficient use of drinking water as per the master plan of water supply upto 2021.
- Water pipe lines being laid down in all the unauthorised colonies.
- Construction of additional under ground reservoir under process.
- Bulk water meters on distribution main lines installed to minimise the loss during distribution and take remedial action.
Budgetary provisions for DJB
Plan Scheme : Approved Outlay For 2011-12 : Rs. 1267.87 Cr
Funds released: Rs.1267.87 Cr
2. Grant in Aid
Plan Scheme:Approved Outlay For 2010-11 : Rs. 293.58 Cr
Funds released: Rs. 293.17 Important Committees to monitor major important issues.
- High Powered Committee Yamuna River Development : High Powered Committee for Yamuna River Development has been
constituted under the chairmanship of H.E. Lt. Governor with DJB, DDA,
MCD,GWC(GOI), Min of Water Resources, NHL (Roorkee), Ministry of Environment
and Forest and other agencies as members. The report has been submitted by
Hon’rble LG Delhi to the cabinet secretariat on 16-09-2010.
- Chief Secretary, Delhi is also the Nodal Officer monitoring the projects for abetment of pollution in river Yamuna.
- Pr.Secretary (UD) is the nodal officer to monitor various projects under Yamuna Action Plan-II for abetment of pollution in river Yamuna. The projects are funded by Govt. of India and State.