Raj Niwas (Sanskrit for Government Residence) is the official residence of the Lieutenant Governors of Delhi. It is located in the city of Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi.
The History of Raj Niwas
The area in which Raj Niwas is located, has been playing an important part in the administrative history of Delhi for over 175 years. It lay just north of the 17th century city of Shahjahanabad, adjoining the Mughal garden known as Qudsia Bagh.
After the British East India Company established their administrative control over Delhi in 1803, slowly a few large British houses came up here. These included Ludlow Castle – a big bungalow built by Simon Ludlow, the Civil Surgeon of Delhi. In 1844 Ludlow Castle became the residence of the highest official in Delhi - the Commissioner and Agent to the Governor General.
In the decades after the Revolt of 1857, more bungalows were built in this area, leading to the creation of Civil Lines. The road came to be known as Ludlow Castle Road. Ludlow Castle was occupied in the late 19th century by the Delhi Club, and later by a school. The Chief Commissioner of Delhi moved to a smaller bungalow on the same road – 6, Ludlow Castle Road. This is the site and address of the present Raj Niwas, and the road is now known called Raj Niwas Marg.
India’s capital city Delhi has enjoyed the status of being the capital city of several empires. Currently, Delhi is the seat of the Government of India and stands tall as one of the leading capital cities of the world.
Though the foundation stone of the city was laid in 1911, it started to be referred to as New Delhi only in 1927. The Constitution Act of 1991 formally declared the Union Territory of Delhi as the National Capital Territory of Delhi. Today, it is jointly administered by the Federal Government of India and the Local Government of Delhi.
In the year 2011, a landmark year in its history, New Delhi celebrated its 100 years of being.
New Delhi boasts of a large metropolitan area and enjoys a 22 million strong population...